Cacao Nibs | Arriba | Organic | Kosher - 30 Lbs
- After several trips to Ecuador we came across a variety of cacao unique to the area, a species that was created by its environment. Arriba Nacional Fino de Aroma is hidden deep in the rainforests of the low lying La Costa Region and the complex beans that it produces are the crown jewel of the international chocolate trade
- True Arriba Cacao is an heirloom species that only grows in the upriver areas of the Guayas River and the Lowland Provinces of Ecuador. This variety favors the lush soils and yields a distinct floral and fruity aroma. Cacao trees can reach 30-40 feet and after three years start producing green pods.
- Cacao pods are picked when they have matured and range in color from shades of yellow to reddish browns. Each pod is split open and contains dozens of beans that are covered in an extremely sweet, thick white pulp.
- Fermenting cacao beans isn’t an easy process, they need constant supervision and a skilled individual tending to them at all times. As soon as the cacao pods are harvested they begin to germinate and must be quickly moved to a large “sweatbox” to ferment. The fermentation process is relatively quick but requires an experts discipline; the beans must be mixed frequently for consistency while avoiding excessive exposure to air. The whole process takes about 3-5 days of uninterrupted care and attention.
- When the fermentation process is complete, the cacao is thoroughly rinsed and laid out to dry. Each bean must lay flat and be rotated often to ensure even drying.
- This is where we really differ from others. Typically the beans are roasted and subjected to heat, a process that eliminates a lot of natural flavors that the plant takes so long to develop. We believe these natural flavors are something to be enjoyed, so as soon as the bean is dry we remove the shell and gently crush the inside into nibs.
- Ecuador’s La Costa Region stretches from the Pacific Ocean in the West to the base of the Andes Mountains in the east. The tropical region consists of several types of forests, complete with rolling hills, lush plains, and flowing rivers.
VARIETY: Arriba Nacional Fino de Aroma
Weight: 30 lbs